Thursday, June 16, 2011

What moves me


What could be better than a glass of wine, a Springsteen album, and a blank page!
I've been listening to Springsteen since 1975, and his music still moves me, sometimes to tears, 36 years and counting. Geez! Was it really that long ago that I first began this relationship? It seems like yesterday that I saw Springsteen in Knoxville, Tennessee (I think it was 1976). The initial concert date was cancelled and moved to a smaller venue, which was thrilling to the true Springsteen fan. It meant we'd be more up close and personal. And we were! We rocked long and hard. I especially remember 10th Avenue Freeze Out. It has always been my favorite. I've seen Springsteen in concert four times (Knoxville, Memphis, Raleigh, Atlanta), and I'd go again in a heartbeat! What a show! What a storyteller!
One of my favorite Springsteen lines: "Spare parts and broken hearts keep the world turnin' around." After reporting, before teaching, I worked a couple of years for a heavy equipment repair company, and I used to have the Springsteen lyric pasted on my computer.
Oh, but I have lots more favorites. Find a Springsteen album or tune in to E Street Radio and just listen. You will be glad you did. 
In the years to come, Springsteen's voice will help our great grandchildren understand us.

No comments:

Post a Comment